Saturday, October 24, 2015

The dreaded "P" word

Well, well, well. Here we are again. I've been meaning to write this post for a couple of weeks now, but never got around to it. Mostly because I was frustrated and didn't feel like being publicly frustrated. (I do enough of that on Facebook regarding gun control and Planned Parenthood. Let's leave it out of my weight loss adventure, shall we?)

But I digress (as usual).

First! Some good news: my weigh in yesterday was 213.9. That's right on target for my next goal. It was a welcome sight because I've been bouncing around 220 since my last post.

Y'all. That was a long time. Long enough that I was feeling like I had plateaued. *shudder*

Here's the thing. I knew that eventually that would happen. And I even thought I was mentally prepared for it to happen to me right around the 220 mark. I sat at 220 for years when I was finishing college. 220 is just where my body did its thing without any help from me. I wasn't surprised that when I got there my body was all, "oh, hey! We know what to do with this! Let's just chill here for a bit, ok?"

No. Not ok. And way more frustrating than I anticipated. Every weigh in that came back as 218 or 221 or somewhere in between made me increasingly discouraged. I was also dealing with a lot of general life stuff. Trying to sort out a catch 22 I found myself in while trying to get started as an Uber driver. Starting a new job. Fighting an unemployment appeal. Working on a grad school application. The kind of grown up stuff that can already make your head spin and seeing the same "220" on the scale week after week was rough.

Truth be told, (as is my habit, because the truth is fun!) I was still counting calories and doing pretty well there, but I'd let my water consumption drop off significantly and I was not exercising. At all. Maybe once a week I'd walk to the grocery store or the post office. Less than a mile round trip. Hardly what anyone would consider regular exercise. So I shouldn't be surprised that things slowed to a halt.

Lucky for me, getting things moving again was as simple as re-adding some of the things I'd been doing previously back into my routine. I'm back up to 8 waters a day minimum and I've started a daily work out routine. Nothing crazy. Nothing time consuming. But I'm impressed with what a huge difference a few minutes of strength training seems to have on my body. I do about a 1 minute plank every day and a few minutes of easy cardio or squats and things. There's a name for that - when your strength training isn't using weights - just the resistance of your own body. But I forget and I'm too lazy to look it up. But that. Push ups and crunches and squats. That kind of stuff.

And according to Mr. Bathroom Scale this week, that seems to be enough for now.

The next target goal for HealthyWage is 206 by 11/15. My next personal milestone is 200. Both numbers should be here before you know it! Probably before I gorge myself on turkey and dressing and pumpkin pie.

Cheers! And if I don't see you before then: Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment